Thursday, January 14, 2016

These "69" Deaths Though!?!


Heeeey Reeeaderssss....

It's been a bit of a gloomy start to 2016 no? I mean losing 2 greats in a single week. Now personally, I am not a huge hashtag RIP celebrity death "bandwagoneer" but these 2 personally cut deep for me personally. To be honest in the last 3 or so years we lost fantastic celebrities/artists in their craft that actually had an impact on me, more so than a simple "Oh, he/she died? That sucks, they were talented and will be missed... blah blah blah" no I'm talking about actually shed a tear (or more) for these losses, the big 2 being Robin Williams, and Satoru Iwata as they both had an huge role in the growth of my own personality, even if I only subtly adopted quirks or inspirations, their presence was always there for me growing up, and it is no different with Bowie and Rickman.

Now Bowie is a humorous, lyrical genius of a man, whose talent oozed like some undiscovered color that could only be found from the farthest reaches of space. I have always dug his vocal abilities, and his artsy tunes. His many personas always shone through with odd splendor throughout the decade, and his unique sound bubbled around me from my late teens to now. I regret never being able to see this man in concert, but his music was always on my playlist. One thing of note is this amazing superstar never let the fame or attention get the better of him. Humility plus unique and incredible talents is a combination that is not only respected but greatly admired. A silver lining to his death, if there is one, would have to be his release of his final studio album "Blackstar" where very reminiscent to Freddie Mercury's song "The Show Must Go On", Bowie's piece, "Lazarus", works as a very artful and self-aware good bye to his fans and loved ones and that's a privilege not many people in showbiz have the opportunity to take.

David Bowie - Lazarus



Thanks Bowie, may you be the Starman we will again one day see...

--

Now as for Rickman, as much as I enjoyed him in "Die Hard" and "Galaxy Quest" my fondest memories of his are the same of many which would be the "Harry Potter" films and his role as Severus Snape, a role he truly became as he would with any. But the significance of this wasn't the fact that I am a harry Potter fan, all the contrary I am more of a Potter-noob if I say so myself, but his role as Snape holds emotional value to me, because it was the last movie marathon I watched with my long distance girlfriend, and I really appreciated the complexity of his character and watching him evolve as such, and just as I was beginning to get more into him as an actor and his works, he too is taken away from us. It's all just happening very early on in the year and very fast, one can't adjust so easily to the loss.



You may not have made it to 80 but you will always be remembered for your kindness and the iconic characters that you portrayed. Good bye Professor...

Seriously though, 2 British super stars dying at the same age of 69 because of cancer, and in the same week no less!? What the heck is going on... *sigh* I feel the number 69 will lose it's provocative double meaning in turn for a cancerous one.... I truly need a moment. 

We lost 2 otherworldly talents, legends, and men... Thanks for visiting us♥


Much Love,
Wachi



No comments:

Post a Comment