Thursday, December 10, 2015

Wachi's Nonsense: TMNT II Trailer: Can we love being a turtle again?



Hello readers, and welcome to Wachi's Nonsense!! It's been a while since I have done one of these, but I am back and with a topic close to my heart. Now, if you read my 50 facts about myself, you may already know I adore the Ninja Turtles, and Michael Bay's produced TMNT figuratively grabbed my childhood in that theater and raped it, I had never come out of a theater in such disgust and indignation before, but that movie... that freaking movie... *AHEM* sorry, this isn't a rant about that experience, maybe someday, but not today. No readers, today I want to talk about the trailer that dropped for the sequel of said personal train wreck, I'm talking "TMNT Out of the Shadows" (and no, not the game), if you haven't seen the trailer yet, come on out of your shells and watch it before we get into my thoughts;





Ok now that you've seen it, watch it again, and really watch it, notice anything? I did, it looks pretty gouh.. Goouejsm...*clears throat* Gowowwd... oh man it's tough to say it, let alone type it... it looks not horrible. :P

In all seriousness let's break it down, I love TMNT, and this trailer actually got me excited, first off, I feel like the turtles toned it down some with the accessories and hulking bodies, which is fantastic, I mean they are still huge, but not as much as the first (I think). Secondly, they are vibrant shades of green now, and seem to have better, more turtle-esque looking faces, instead of looking like vomit green gorons from the Legend of Zelda as they did for the first film, all of which I like! (Except for Donnie, it seems like they added suspenders on him, not sure why tech wizard ninja, has to be Urkel from "Family Matters" for the audience to understand he is the "smart one" but whatever)

Another awesome thing I noticed, sex appeal, I mean Megan Fox's April, was in this for maybe 3 scenes, and only spoke in one, and she didn't appear at all until after the first half of the trailer!! This rectifies one of my biggest complaints with the first film, which was basically,  April O'Neil feat. The Ninja Turtles, seriously, the plot would not move forward until April moved it forward, ugh... But not this time baby! Naw, this time the Turtles took center stage, I actually feel like they are the focal point of the film, which you'd think would make sense in a film titled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", but the first one simply didn't show me that. Also Casey Jones is Arrow, that's pretty cool, I feel he brings great life into the character in the small segments we watched him in, my only nitpick is... the hair, I'll miss the long hair Casey we have all come to know and love, but again that's just me being picky. But just imagine....


Anywaysss.... I noticed they recast Shredder and Karai, which seems like a wise choice, what I don't like, and is a complaint I have heard echoed from my friends, is that even though I am happy that Shredder is no longer Mini Megatron, I don't like the fact that he never wears his mask in the trailer, I hope he stills has it, as it is a very iconic part of him, along with the villain is his clan, the foot clan, and they are actually ninjas again, NINJAS!!! If you may recall from the first film they were gun-totting terrorists, which in my opinion was un-creative and dull, so bringing them back to their ninja roots is fantastic in my book♥

Moving along with the casting, how about that Tyler Perry as the nutty pro... I mean Baxter Stockman, haha I can honestly say I did NOT see that coming, and despite not thinking he was the best choice, I got to admit I enjoy how much fun he is having with the role, really mixing the dark with the comical that the TMNT franchise is known for, I love the energy, despite not really loving the casting choice.


Lat but not least, my inner child recuperated almost immediately from the violent abuse it had suffered from the first film the moment, Bebop and Rocksteady took the stage, holy sh*t readers!!! I have been waiting for these guys to hit the big screen since "TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze", the character designs are so true to their original source material, I am so happy!! Not only that but their human counterparts are phenomenally cast in my opinion, Uncle Ruckus make a great human Bebop!!


I seriously adore the fact that they even have the same 80's like gangster fashion, it's *kisses fingers* perfection from a visual standpoint!

Now with all this promise being shown in the trailer and the Krang's invasion also teased (though very reminiscent to the Chitauri invasion in the first Avengers film, what with the giant worm hole over New York) there is only 2 more things I need for this movie to be a hit and redeem itself in my eyes, and that is one, explore the reincarnation sub-plot in order to make Splinter Hamato Yoshi, PLEASE, this was a huge issue I had with the first film, TMNT is a story about family, yes, but a burning rivalry as well, between Hamato Yoshi (Splinter) and Oroku Saki (Shredder) so despite being visually stimulating, their bout in the first film, it was more of a generic, "Get out of my home/leave my kids alone" type of fight, more than a intense, passion-filled battle of fierce ideals and lost camaraderie, where revenge and history should have swirled into the atmosphere, it was just a "check out my cool ninja moves bro" moment of anger. If this idea were to be played with, it would also explain how the Ninjutsu came so naturally to him when he found the book in the sewers, as that idea is already idiotic in itself...

Last but not least, I am pulling for a Vanilla Ice cameo for a final Ninja Rap Remix battle, this is more of a dorky request than a necessity, but I would love it. The corniness in an intense dance battle before the final showdown would be greatly appreciated, especially if done differently enough to be more of an homage than a complete copy of that cheesy scene.

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!

In the end, my heart is divided, this iteration of TMNT began as an unwanted project, yet it still arrived, and like a bad relationship, it abused me, it hurt me, it beat me down further than I thought it ever would, it told me it loved me only to rip my heart out at every opportunity it could... YET it's back now, it's changed, it's not the dark harmful ex lover, but a more playful badass, dare I say even likeable, one that has its priorities straight, or so it seems... so much so that I would consider taking it back despite the abuse they made me go through the first time, I may be ready to love again, but am I simply being delusional? Can such abusive things, TRULY change for the better? Hell, it's even being released a day before my birthday, is it trying to ask for my forgiveness at the best possible time, or am I walking into the biggest mistake of my life? 
I need a psychologist LOL...

Geeze what is my life?

Overall, I want to hate this movie, I really do, but from where I stand, I honestly can't, only time will tell if I am ready to love being a turtle again (Though I am LOVING the IDW comics atm). How about you readers, are you a fan of the turtles? If so what are your thoughts on the trailer, even the reboot of the series as a whole? Are you pumped, scared, indifferent? Feel free to let me know any changes or ideas that you'd love to see in the new film.

Thanks for sticking around til the end readers, hope you all are having a wonderful pre-holiday time!

Much Love,
Wachi

Never be afraid to be bananas

No comments:

Post a Comment